This contract packaging company needed to develop a more effective contract workforce program to accommodate the fluctuations in labor demand as well as improved hiring practices. Their previous staffing relationships resulted in high turnover, poor quality, a high level of quality defects and significant compliance issues.
- To maintain quality of workforce despite fluctuations in labor demand
- To facilitate communication amongst facilities to better plan for workforce fluctuations
- To recruit, select and retain a very large contract labor workforce
- To effectively manage the onboarding, safety, compliance and performance of the contingent workforce
- Temp Staffing Inc. (TSI) implemented a formal account management program, with a TSI staff member on call or onsite for 2 shifts a day, increasing employee engagement and alignment with plant operations and management.
- TSI implemented scheduling meetings company-wide to better plan labor needs, resulting in lower turnover and a higher skilled, more cross-trained workforce.
- TSI implemented a formal onboarding with a new time clock management system, lowering the risk of costly errors and decreasing time to productivity.
- TSI developed a performance management system for the contingent workforce, facilitating documentation of skill progression and the opportunity to gain priority for full-time positions throughout the facility.
- An increase in schedule adherence throughout their facilities by over 25%.
- Recruitment model resulted in dramatically lower cost per hire and accelerated training time, with over 200 hires in this past year.
- Overtime and double time costs decreased by over 15%.
- Improved onboarding and training greatly reduced compliance issues and improved GMP Compliance.